Sharing or not sharing the INBOX

Stephane Magnier steph.mag220 at netcourrier.com
Fri Aug 13 08:11:07 EEST 2021

Le 13/08/2021 à 06:57, Stephane Magnier a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am using Dovecot and Sendmail ( as lmtp server )
>
> I  would like to consider having some users using there emails and
> having their "private Ibox" ( I would say as a normal use )
>
> and some users sharing their Inbox
>
> 1) Should I consider using and configure 2 different email servers ? (
> one sharing the inbox of any users, the other one, not sharing the
> inbox...)  or I can have this config with the same email server ?
>
> 2) if so, how to tell Dovecot to get for user1 and user2 the same
> Inbox and (user3 and user4) Not sharing their inbox ?  - ... like
> private emails and a tech support, which should share the same folder
>
> 3) or Can I say : User1 -> User 4 have private emails Inbox.. but
> user3 and user4 are also sharing the same folder
> /var/spool/mail/support/  for example
>
> I should admit that I don't know where to go :-(
>
> Thanks for your help

I forgot to say. My current namspace is defined like this

namespace inbox {
type = private
disabled = no
ignore_on_failure = no
   list = yes
     subscriptions = yes
#hidden = no
#inbox = yes
#prefix = INBOX/

   # These mailboxes are widely used and could perhaps be created
automatically:

   mailbox "Drafts" {
       auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox "Junk" {
       auto = subscribe
     autoexpunge = 12 weeks
     special_use = \Junk
   }

   mailbox "Trash" {
       auto = no
     autoexpunge = 12 weeks
     special_use = \Trash
   }

   # For \Sent mailboxes there are two widely used names. We'll mark both of
   # them as \Sent. User typically deletes one of them if duplicates are
created.
   mailbox "Sent" {
       auto = subscribe
     special_use = \Sent
   }

mailbox virtual/All { # if you have a virtual “All messages” mailbox
auto = no
special_use = \All
}

=> that's OK..

So, I 've added  this part

namespace {
hidden = no
ignore_on_failure = no
inbox = no
list = children
#location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=%h/shared/%%u:CONTROL=%h/shared/%%u
location = maildir:/var/spool/mail2/support
prefix = shared.%%u.
separator = .
subscriptions = yes
type = shared