Help to setup a Unix socket based authentication server for dovecot in Python

dovecot at ptld.com dovecot at ptld.com
Fri Aug 13 16:27:39 EEST 2021

> So  this is  a single system user with  single email, there are a
> number of system users and email accounts,  I don't need to use SQL or
> LDAP or another password file. I can write  python  script to analyze
> the logins and the mail folders including quota and send to socket file
> , But how the formats as dict ?    How the user input ( email/password
> ) send  to  that  unix socket ? I mean the format  The documentation
> doesn't say anything about it.

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/dict/
There is an example script done in perl at the bottom of the page.
Maybe it can give you hints as to the format needed for a python script.

On the same page it also says:
When given a proxy URL the Dict backend speaks a simple protocol over a
UNIX socket.
The protocol is defined in src/lib-dict/dict-client.h
https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/lib-dict/dict-client.h