What kind of search response time are you setting with solr full text search?

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Wed Aug 25 03:53:24 EEST 2021

MY SETUP: I have apache solr full text search enabled with dovecot. I
have an inbox with about 40 subfolders. I'm using the roundcube
web-based mail client. The find command is showing 15823 email files and
apache solr reports the same number. I'm running a dedicated mail server
with a 1 GB of ram. The solr machine is running on a separate machine
with 4 GB ram.

THE PROBLEM: When I do a full text search through all my inbox and all
subfolders on a single word, search results are returned in about 10 to
15 seconds. This is better than the 40 seconds or so I'm getting when I
turn off the fts and fts_solr plugins but still a little disappointing.

WHAT I'D LIKE: Now, I don't expect instant search results like gmail,
but getting the search results to display in less than 5 seconds would
be a lot less painful that 10 to 15 seconds.

WHAT I'VE TRIED: I have reindexed the emails on solr to try to speed
things upit up.

ANY ADVICE? Curious to know what response times others are seeing and if
there is anything else I might try to speed things up. Maybe the number
of subfolders is slowing things down?