[OT] Re: What kind of search response time are you setting with solr full text search?

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Aug 25 20:46:24 EEST 2021

On 8/25/2021 11:33 AM, Steve Dondley wrote:
> OK, I take this back. I did an imap search via telnet and solr reports
> the search takes about 3 to 4 seconds. Here's the output:
>
> a search text "maynez"

Try this in on the commandline of the Solr server:

time curl
"http://localhost:YYY/solr/dovecot/select?q=maynez&defType=edismax&qf=body+to+subject+cc+from"

Where YYY is the port Solr is listening on.

In the response, QTime is how long it took for Solr to do the search.
This does not include time for the result set to be gathered or the time
to transfer the response over the network, which is where the "time"
part of that comes in.  I see this doing a similar query on my Solr:

real    0m0.026s
user    0m0.011s
sys     0m0.010s

QTime for that request was 1 millisecond -- so it took 25 milliseconds
for the stuff that is not counted in QTime.

You could do the query remotely by changing "localhost" to the hostname
or IP address of the Solr server.

Thanks,
Shawn