set up for Dovecot redundancy -- store on edge server only if link to backofc server is down, otherwise deliver to final dest?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:52:20 EET 2021

I run Postfix + Dovecot.

Currently, I've got a cloud-instance of Postfix that handles all the anti-spam/auth/routing.
On successful 'pass', it resends email -- over a VPN link -- to a *local* Postfix instance, which then LMTP-delivers to a Dovecot instance on the same box.

Works great.

I'd like to set up some IMAP redundancy, so that if the VPN link is down for any reason, mail is stored/accessible, and -- eventually -- correctly (re)delivered to the local Dovecot instance when the link's up again.

The goal state I'm considering looks like:

@cloud

	Postfix
	LMTP delivery from Postfix to "Dovecot1"

@local

	LMTP (re)delivery from "Dovecot1", @cloud, to "Dovecot2"

IDEALLY, no IMAP mail should ever be persistently stored on the @cloud Dovecot instance -- unless the VPN link is down.
Then, when the VPN link is up again, the @cloud-stored IMAP mail should me 'moved' to the @local instance.

I.e., I do _not_ want a replicated store.

My question is how transparent/automated can this be done?

I'd guess that somewhere in Dovecot's config I need logic that provides the conditional delivery to just @cloud vs 'all the way' to @local ...

Any suggestions as to how to put this VPN-conditional redundancy in place?