set up for Dovecot redundancy -- store on edge server only if link to backofc server is down, otherwise deliver to final dest?

Frank-Ulrich Sommer f-u.s at gmx.net
Mon Jan 4 17:00:15 EET 2021

Perhaps I misunderstood the constraints, but (for a low nunber od accounts) what would be wrong with simply fetching the mail on the local server from dovecot1 and delivering it to dovecot2 with IMAP idle to prevent delays?

If the VPN link is down mail will stay on dovecot1. You could even configure a postponed deletion (hours or days) so you would be able to access recent mail if dovecot2 is down.