Massive /tmp files

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Fri Jan 22 20:05:38 EET 2021

On 22 Jan 2021, at 09:07, Ron Garret (gmail) <ron.garret at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2021, at 8:02 AM, @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jan 2021, at 18:08, MRob <mrobti at insiberia.net> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I just found user who has single folder (standard maildir format) that filled with over 8mil files and 800GB in the /tmp subdirectory of that folder:
>>
>> Are they real files or hard links?
>
> How would you distinguish a hard link from a “real file”?

ls -l will show the number of hard links to a file in the first column after the permissions (or it showed the number off files (including . and ..) inside a directory if it's a directory entry).

#v+
10:58:53 :/ $ touch test.file
10:59:03 :/ $ ls -lsn
total 0
0 -rw-r--r--  1 502  0  0 Jan 22 10:59 test.file
10:59:09 :/ $ ln test.file mynewfile
10:59:19 :/ $ ls -lsn
total 0
-rw-r--r--  2 502  0  0 Jan 22 10:59 mynewfile
-rw-r--r--  2 502  0  0 Jan 22 10:59 test.file
            ^ number of hard links
11:04:18 :/ $ ls -lnd .
drwxr-xr-x  4 502  0  128 Jan 22 10:59 /tmp/test/.
            ^ number of files
#v-

There are other ways, including the stat command.

--
Rent a flat above a shop, cut your hair and get a job, smoke some
	fags and play some pool, pretend you never went to school and