Massive /tmp files

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Fri Jan 22 20:29:10 EET 2021

On Jan 22, 2021, at 10:05 AM, @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2021, at 09:07, Ron Garret (gmail) <ron.garret at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are they real files or hard links?
>>
>> How would you distinguish a hard link from a “real file”?
>
> ls -l will show the number of hard links to a file in the first column after the permissions (or it showed the number off files (including . and ..) inside a directory if it's a directory entry).

Ah, I misinterpreted the question then.  You meant (I presume) “Are they 8 million distinct files, or 8 million hard links to a (much) smaller number of actual underlying inodes.”

So then my next question is (and I’m not intending to challenge you here, I’m just trying to get a better understanding of how dovecot works under the hood): where would these hard links come from?  What does dovecot use hard links for?

rg