Dovecot and mutt

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Mon Jan 25 17:52:14 EET 2021

On 25 Jan 2021, at 02:08, Rupert Gallagher <ruga at protonmail.com> wrote:
> It would be useful to automatically de-HTML e-mails, but this is not a task for dovecot. Even more useful would be to deprecate HTML in e-mails.

Well, that is never going to happen.

I have tried, but failed,. To write a sieve and script to strip HTML parts of messages and if the message is only HTML to pipe it through w3m and add the html portion as an emo attachment (in case it has links that need clicking, like on some 'confirm you exist' emails.

So far, that has failed and dovecote/sieve doesn't give enough logging when scripts fail (script works when run manually, fails when run from sieve, but no information on why it failed). For not I have given up.

I get a LOT of mail that is pointlessly HTMLized (including on this list) and would very much like to strip it down to plain text, but so far the best option appears to use a text-based mail client to access those messages.

What I may do is simply put all the HTML mail into a special jail (er, I mean mailbox) so that I don't encounter it accidentally.

Honestly, I do not main HTML per se, it is when the HTML specifies font size, colors, background colors, and other garbage like that that I despise it. A well formed HTML message is is fine, but those are very rare.

--
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have
	never managed it from the cat. --Witches Abroad