Long Term Archival

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Fri Jan 29 21:30:56 EET 2021

Am 29.01.21 um 17:01 schrieb Odhiambo Washington:
> Between the MTA and the IMAP4 who should be responsible for archiving?
> I think if you need to keep copies of e-mails, it's better done at the
> MTA level.
> Deliver one copy to the recipient and another copy to the archive.
> IMHO.

off topic at dovecot but

here is a solution with homebrew postfix/dovecot blog

https://blog.sys4.de/mailarchiv-mit-dovecot-und-postfix-sortiert-nach-datum-mailadressen-und-ein-ausgehend-unterordnern-de.html

a good idea is to use maildir  for archive / every mail is a file ,you
can hash too, depend on how much you have to store you need a storage
which should work over years

however you should/prefer use a prof solution

something like

https://www.mailstore.com

cause of legally reasons

read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_archiving

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München