What is the right way to move messages between mailboxes?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat Jan 30 18:38:39 EET 2021

I’m working on a spam filter.  Incoming messages are sent to an “incoming” folder (via a sieve script) where they are processed by the filter and moved either to INBOX or Junk.  My question is: what is the right way to effect this move?  Can I just mv the file?  With Dovecot automatically notice this and update any connected IMAP clients?  Or is there some other procedure and/or utility (doveadm?) that I should be using for this?

Thanks,
rg