move mails between mailboxes

Arjen de Korte build+dovecot at de-korte.org
Tue Jul 13 17:53:41 EEST 2021

Citeren Tom Doenen <tom at inkblu.org>:

> Hello,
>
> i am using dovecot 2.3.4.1
>
> I am tyring to make a script using the doveadm move command to move
> old emails into a subfolder of the users INBOX ; say all mails from
> 2016 into INBOX/2016.
> Selecting and moving is not the issue; everything works just i am
> amazed that the (test) mail client Thunderbird downloads all mails
> in INBOX/2016 after the move.
>
> When i make an IMAP move of all 2016-mails in Thunderbird; mails are
> moved between the mailboxes without any mails being (re-)downloaded.
> So what am i missing here?

That's because in that case Thunderbird will know that the mails are
moved between the mailboxes and will tell the server to move the
messages and then do the move locally (without downloading the
messages again). If you do this on the server, the client has no idea
these are the same mesasages and will procede to delete them from the
original location and download them again from the new location. The
same happens if you move them in Thunderbird on one device and you
have a second device. Even if it also uses Thunderbird, it will have
to download them again.