folders management

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:57:29 EEST 2021

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021, Stephane Magnier wrote:

> On my folders' architecture, I can see all the folders underneeth each other
>
> fodler1
> folder2
> etc....
>
> I would like to have the possibility to have _folders INTO folders_, like
>
> Folder1
> Folder2
> .......folder 21
> ......folder 22
> Folders 3
>
> Apparently, this is link to this d?claration :__*_mbox_:/var/spool2/mail/%u.
> *Is that correct ? is that the "mbox" declaration? or Am I complety wrong ?

Not directly.  The LAYOUT=fs parameter is probably what you need to change.

 	https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/namespace/
 	Section: Hierarchy separators

> If I have need to change...I have to change it for what ?

What are your current settings?

> * Can I use this new structure with NFS shares ?

Yes.

> * What is the backside of it ?

mbox format has lots of performance drawbacks.  You can also have nested
folders in Maildir, so if you have a choice, use that format.

> Now, if I make this modification.. on an existing dovecot system... , Will it
> make a true disaster ? or I can change the declaration easily?

If you currently use maildir and change to mbox, that will go badly.  Aagin,
there's not much that can be without knowing your current settings.

Have you tried creating nested folder structure with your mail clients?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>