disable pop3 ports?

Dan Egli dan at newideatest.site
Tue May 4 11:26:12 EEST 2021

I'm using Gentoo. They do not have separate packages for dovecot. It's
all under one roof so to speak. And I checked. doveconf protocols DOES
list pop3, but according to grep it's commented out EVERYWHERE!

# grep pop3 *
10-director.conf:#service pop3-login {
10-director.conf:  #executable = pop3-login director
10-mail.conf:# pop3_uidl_format=%m. For backwards compatibility we use
apop3d inspired
10-mail.conf:#mbox_md5 = apop3d
10-master.conf:#service pop3-login {
10-master.conf:#  inet_listener pop3 {
10-master.conf:#  inet_listener pop3s {
10-master.conf:#completely disable pop3
10-master.conf:#service pop3 {
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_no_flag_updates = no
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_enable_last = no
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_reuse_xuidl = no
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_lock_session = no
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_fast_size_lookups = no
20-pop3.conf:#  UW's ipop3d         : %08Xv%08Xu
20-pop3.conf:#  tpop3d              : %Mf
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
20-pop3.conf:# Permanently save UIDLs sent to POP3 clients, so
pop3_uidl_format changes
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_save_uidl = no
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_uidl_duplicates = allow
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_deleted_flag =
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_logout_format = top=%t/%p, retr=%r/%b, del=%d/%m, size=%s
20-pop3.conf:#pop3_client_workarounds =
20-pop3.conf:#protocol pop3 {

This is PRECISELY why I'm confused. As you can see there is no
uncommented pop3 in the config files, but doveconf protocols shows imap,
lmtp, AND pop3

On 5/4/2021 2:18 AM, Jean-Daniel wrote:
> Not sure what distribution you are using, but some distributions provide distincts package for dovecot-pop, so removing it may be enough.
>
> This package main purpose it to install a file in /usr/share/dovecot/protocols.d/ which is then imported in the config by a line like "!include_try /usr/share/dovecot/protocols.d/*.protocol »
>
> Also, make sure "doveconf protocols" does not include pop3
>
> Presence of service pop3-login, service pop3 in config should not be enough to start listening on pop3 ports.
>

>> Le 4 mai 2021 à 06:40, Dan Egli <dan at newideatest.site> a écrit :
>>
>> I admit I don't quite understand dovecot's config yet, but this is driving me batty. I was looking at my server and noticed that dovecot was listening on the pop3 ports (110/TCP). Since I do not use pop3 at all, nor does anyone who has ever or ever will connect to the server, that seems like a needless waste. So I went through the config files and commented out every reference to pop3 in them. But when I restart dovecot, it STILL opens a listener on 110. How do I fix this? The ONLY external ports I want
dovecot listening to are imap4 and imap4s.

--
Dan Egli