Sendmail and Doecot

Stephane Magnier azt000 at aztgrp.net
Thu May 20 09:44:30 EEST 2021

Hi,

I am using Dovecot v 2.2.32 and Sendmail 8.15.2

My "folder" config on Dovecot is :
mbox:/var/spool2/%u/mail:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
But in fact, any email arriving into  the mailbox, stays in  Sendmail
into the file location (by default) : /var/spool/mail/user1 and any
folder created,  can be reached via Dovecot  and is located to
/var/spool2/user1

If I want to backup the user1's emails, I need to backup the "dovecot"
location ( /var/spool2/user1) but also the Sendmail file location (
/var/spool/mail/user1)
If I don't do that, I loose fresh emails which are still into the
Sendmail directory, which are not copied into the Dovecot location..
Sounds weird

I would expect to backup only my Dovecot directory and my email client
should see only the Dovecot directory
I would expect to have small sendmail email file user (
/var/spool/mail/user1 ) and i should't car about these files. Everything
should be copied automatically into my Dovecot location

what do you think ?

Best regards,
Stéve