Sendmail and Doecot

Markus Winkler ml at irmawi.de
Thu May 20 13:19:38 EEST 2021

Hi Stephane,

On 20.05.21 08:44, Stephane Magnier wrote:
> I am using Dovecot v 2.2.32 and Sendmail 8.15.2
>
> My "folder" config on Dovecot is
> :*mbox:/var/spool2/%u/mail:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u*
> But in fact, any email arriving into  the mailbox, stays in  Sendmail into
> the file location (by default) : /var/spool/mail/user1 and any folder
> created,  can be reached via Dovecot  and is located to /var/spool2/user1

I would recommend to change your Sendmail setup. IMHO you should configure
it so that it uses Maildir instead of mbox.

Please have a look at the Wiki:
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail

Or use LMTP instead (which I prefer):
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/protocols/lmtp_server/

And your Dovecot config could then be something like this:

mail_location = maildir:/var/spool2/%u/Maildir

All the mails and folders in _one_ place.

HTH and regards,
Markus