[OFFTOPIC] Re: Outlook vs. Dovecot experience

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Jan 13 16:38:01 UTC 2022

All I can add to this is anecdotal, from what we hear from ISP's and
Telco's, and over the last year changes to the way Outlook behaves,
everything from how it does auto discovery and setup, to smaller issues
with SSL/TLS, make it seem that 'interoperability' is not a priority for
some of the monsters in the industry.

This is NOT a dovecot issue, but a worrisome trend in the industry.

"If you want product XX to work flawlessly, you need to use product XX"

However, we are going to still have to play in their sandbox, as Outlook
is still prevalent in the business community.

My 'tin foil hat' suggests that it is even a business tactic by some
companies, to reduce competition.  Those that are NOT working for
"monsters" need to support each other, by adopting more open standard
tools, which means we should all try to use open products, both email
providers, and email clients.

Sorry, that doesn't help your situation though. Other than encouraging
the use of alternative email clients ;) But for the most part, expect
users not to understand.  They just want things to work.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."