[OFFTOPIC] Re: Outlook vs. Dovecot experience

Panayiotis Fafakos pfaf at wisdomsoftware.net
Sat Jan 15 17:46:25 UTC 2022

The same here in Greece.

The only Outlook version which respects open standards concerning the
IMAP protocol is Outlook 2010.
We thought at first that Outlook 2013 would also be compatible with
dovecot. Yet, as said, it seems to be a Microsoft company (internal)
policy, not to comply with standards, since this would bring their
"tower of cards" down.
We hoped that Outlook 2016 would make a difference, or at least Outlook
2019, but none of the sort happened.

What is the exact problem? Well, here it is:
Many times, users create folders with non-compatible characters in their
folder names, either slashes or dots, etc.
Outlook accepts these characters as valid, while dovecot will not. Yet
Outlook creates the folder for the user and the user thinks he can use
the folder, although the folder does not exist on the server.
The user stores emails in the folder and uses it, until one day he
either logs in via his webmail and does not see the specified folder. He
then does not worry very much, since he can still work from his PC where
Outlook is installed.
Once the PC needs to have his hard disk replaced due to a failure, then
he/she discovers that his emails are lost forever.

Anyway, we do have a company central email storage for all emails using
copies of send and received emails, but even that would have him
re-organise his emails into folders for a whole year or more, so this is
another complain we have.
Normally Outlook should not create the folder if the server does not
accept the peculiar characters, but I believe that Microsoft has
overlooked this.

Even if we are notified that a user has a problem of lost folders in his
webmail, with what he may see in his Outlook client, we do not know what
to do to fix the problem.

We have search to find options as to restrict folder allowed characters
but could not find any option.

Another problem is that Outlook, including Outlook 2010, would
automatically subscribe a newly created folder.
This is a problem, because it means that the Outlook application will
download emails for subscribed folders, usually exceeding limits, which
should be re-set using the registry.
If your users create many folders per day, then they have a lot of
subscribed folders. Subscribed folders are looked up for new emails, and
the application starts to slow down, and users again complain.

Thunderbird is far better with IMAP protocol.

Yet Microsoft has hypnotised most of the users into seen Outlook
application as better.

Kind regards to all,

Panos.