silly quesiton

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Tue Jan 25 12:50:12 UTC 2022

On January 24, 2022 1:33:46 PM AKST, John Stoffel <john at stoffel.org> wrote:
>steph> 1) How can I says sendmail to use the same passwd file ( with MD5) than dovecot ?
>
>Ah... just saw this.  And I don't know how to configure sendmail for
>this.  I would suggest you look on the sendmail.org site for help.

Too many professional bulk mailers on all those lists. I for one don't like the documentation runaround. There's a lot of stuff that's getting more complicated than it needs to be. I need SPF+DKIM+DMARC for basic spam control.

>steph> 2) Ideally, I would like to create virtual users for the same
>steph> mailbox  Is that possible ?

I have a setup like that myself. Nothing to do with Dovecot. It's entirely up to postfix which mailbox to deliver incoming messages to, and the user's client to address outgoing mail with a proper ID.

>steph> like 2 files Users and PAsswrds pointing out the mailbox :
>steph> maildir :/home/mailbox/user1 ex : user1 at foo.com  passwrd1
>steph> /home/mailbox/generic_mails and user2 passwrd2
>steph> home/mailbox/generic_mails
>
>I do this myself using postfix and dovecot and it works well.  I have
>my users defined in an sqlite3 DB, though for a small number of users
>I think a flat file is simpler.

The performance of flat files really bogs down my system and causes me to lose mails if too many arrive or if the file grows too large.

>The trick is to have the dovecot and postfix/sendmail using the same
>files for the virtual users and their passwords.  There are a number
>of tutorials out there for doing this.
>
>John

Without a doubt there are many useful tricks and tutorials out there. I have found several very helpful.

Maybe a future programming project idea: I want a system that will store all mail messages and user account info in, say, a postgresql transactional database, a little more manageable and reliable than ad hoc databasing with those flat files all over the place cluttering up the system.