sieve-filter ignores -u argument

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Jan 25 13:31:00 UTC 2022

I read the sieve-filter man page so I'll speculate.   Granted, I still
don't fully understand how sieve and virtual users work as I have never
set this up.

"postmaster" is an alias of root and "vmail" is probably just a
directory name.   So, from the root's command prompt, the environment
variables probably aren't totally set up for sieve-filter to understand
virtual users.

So, working from the command prompt, you probably have to explicitly
specify the .sieve path and leave off the -u argument

# cd /location_of_virtual_user_INBOX
# sieve-filter -v /opt/some_global_rules/sieve/managesieve.sieve INBOX

Would is be great if seive-filter had an argument to understand the
system's virual user's settings?  Of course.  I don't know why the
developer haven't included it.

-Eric