Extremely long line

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Tue Jun 7 20:25:54 UTC 2022

>>>>> "Dmitriy" == Dmitriy Fitisov <dmitriy at radier.ca> writes:

Dmitriy> Hello everyone,
Dmitriy> I’m using https://github.com/karastojko/mailio
Dmitriy> to get messages from dovecot-2.3.7.2 (3c910f64b)

So post your code that you're using to get the message from dovecot.
I assume you're using IMAP?

Dmitriy> and 1 of the messages which is 2.5 mbytes in size and has an
Dmitriy> image attached, has a half megabyte of <80> (0x80) characters
Dmitriy> at the end.

Do you have a test case message that works?  What version of dovecot
is the server running?

Dmitriy> And that is with default encoding of 7 bit (meaning there is
Dmitriy> no part headers at the end), right after the message those
Dmitriy> characters.  I got a feeling that max length was 998
Dmitriy> characters.  On other hand, looks like dovecot is replacing
Dmitriy> NULL chars with 0x80.

Dmitriy> Is that is correct behavior, should I expect that half meg of bytes in 1 line?

It sounds more like a problem with the tool encoding the mail
message.  How did you create the message that you are trying to
download?

Start with simple test cases.

1. create a plain ASCII message and send it to dovecot.
2. download the message and compare the message bodies.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 with more complex messages, such as messages with
long long lines, etc.

But you really need to give us more details on how these messages are
created, and how you're trying to read them.

What happens if you look at the message with another mail client?
Does it fail?  Can the message be read?

John