Issue with one user only, exceeding connections

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Thu Jun 9 18:07:38 UTC 2022

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Schaeffer <kb9mfd at phonesplus.biz> writes:

Jeremy> Thanks for the command, that is very useful.  That user is
Jeremy> actually me, I know why where are so many open. I have my
Jeremy> computer, and two tablets, and since I am using server side
Jeremy> filtering (procmail) I have to set watch on all the folders
Jeremy> that are filtered to or I miss a email. But I am doing the
Jeremy> same for about 4 other users accounts I also monitor, so I am
Jeremy> not sure why it's just my username that is doing that. I am
Jeremy> going to shut down all the clients one at a time and see what
Jeremy> client is opening all those connections.

I too used to use procmail, but it's old and un-maintained and it's
not a great solution any more.  Instead just setup Sieve and you can
manage it remotely.  I personally do it from a makefile which does all
the steps needed, and I just edit the file in emacs as needed.

I can give you a copy of my makefile if that will help.

Jeremy> Once I close the client, I assume the connection should also close and
Jeremy> the count go down, correct?

Jeremy> I turned off both tablets and the connection count for my username still
Jeremy> is at 60, since I am writing this email with my computer client I will
Jeremy> send it and close my client and see what happens. Thanks! - Jeremy