dovecot Digest, Vol 230, Issue 21

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 22:29:03 UTC 2022

On Thu, 9 Jun 2022, Richard wrote:

> Rather than simply upping the limit I think a reasonable question to

> ask is why/how they are managing to do that. That's a lot of open

> folders.

If this mail client behaves anything like Apple mail clients, these

connection storms can come about when doing global searches.  The mail

clients will march through each mailbox (opening a connection for each

mailbox) looking for a pattern.

If you can narrow this scenario for one specific user (e.g. $user), you

can deep dive what's going on by enabling IMAP session logs for this user

        protocol imap {

                rawlog_dir = /log/dir/%u

        }

then

        (Make sure this user has write permissions into this directory)

        mkdir /log/dir/$user

After you're done, you can disable logging,

        rm -rf /log/dir/$user

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>