Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Sun Jun 26 22:52:05 UTC 2022

I have a small client whose insurance company insists they have MFA for their email to be covered under some kind of data protection policy. Currently I have the client set up on a Debian box for the email server coupled with roundcube for webmail. Most the users just use roundcube but some also use their mobile devices to check email. Maybe one person uses outlook. There’s about 5 to 10 users total.

I know roundcube offers a MFA plugin. But I don’t have the foggiest idea how of an iPhone, Android device, or Outlook could all be set up to work with MFA with a standard dovecot/postfix setup. Are there any practical solutions for easily implementing MFA that could work across multiple devices?