Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Mon Jun 27 00:43:32 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 06:52:05PM -0400, Steve Dondley wrote:
> I know roundcube offers a MFA plugin. But I don’t have the foggiest
> idea how of an iPhone, Android device, or Outlook could all be set up
> to work with MFA with a standard dovecot/postfix setup.

I'm currently vague on whether/how these can be integrated with
dovecot/postfix, but ...

> Are there any practical solutions for easily implementing MFA that
> could work across multiple devices?

... there exist several cross-platform hardware tokens:

- https://www.nitrokey.com/

- https://www.yubico.com

- https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-security-keys/

and time-based one-time passwords ("TOTP") are also cross-platform:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_one-time_password

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeOTP

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinOTP

- https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/07/ios-15-built-in-password-authenticator/

Please update the thread if you make any progress.  Thanks!

Sam