Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Mon Jun 27 14:53:23 UTC 2022

I don't see why not.

Dovecot and Postfix are entirely configurable to connect to and use any
desired authentication mechanism through certain basic interfaces.

The main problem I have experienced with MFA is a continual battle with
extortion, "long cons," and thievery in law -- that the thieves are able to
obtain one of the necessary factors for authentication -- a dongle or cell
phone app or access to a cell phone number, or surveillance intelligence on
calls or texts, whatnot -- whether by force or deception -- and then deny
the targeted individual access to his or her own account.

Later on, after the victim has given up, the thieves are able to obtain the
other factors for authentication, and then proceed to social-engineer a
false account recovery using the victim's stolen I.D. -- and then they
often as not falsely report the victim to gullible or complicit police
forces as the thief.

If the victim cannot be successfully accused of theft in court, the
"thieves in law" at work with inside help in government and law enforcement
communities are able to cast identity theft as a mental illness akin to
dissociative identity disorder -- to which the government offers nothing
but a mental health "recovery" plan which does not include any actual
recovery of the stolen assets in a person's name.

 * https://www.identitytheft.gov/
 * https://www.robodeidentidad.gov/

Casting identity theft as a mental health issue further enables thieves to
take control of a victim's finances by possibly being appointed as
guardians or payees in court. For the same reasons of legalized theft,
extortion, and wrongful appropriation through state, local, military and
federal court systems, individuals with similar names to known criminals
are not allowed to hold significant assets in their names or possess
firearms or obtain employment in sensitive positions in the United States.

 * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_in_law