Solved: replication-/sync-problem with 'percent'-sign in foldernames after upgrade to dovecot 2.3.19

Andreas Piper piper at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 20 06:14:17 UTC 2022

Hello,

solved:

the problem seems to be caused by the following change noted in the
release-notes for 2.3.19:
- doveadm sync: BROKENCHAR was wrongly changed to '_' character when
   migrating mailboxes. This was set by default to %, so any mailbox
   names containing % characters were modified to "_25".

After explicitely defining '%' as brokenchar, replication from the
command-line now works without problem and the
replication-'failed'-count has returned to 0.

The solution is to define
'mail_location = mdbox:%h/mdbox:BROKENCHAR=\%'

Andreas