The end of Dovecot Director?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 20 18:37:59 UTC 2022

I'm top posting because I can't make heads or tails of this thread.
Does this thread mean that Dovecot will no longer be Free Software?

It appears that only Dovecot Director will be taken proprietary, but if
all of Dovecot is in jeopardy, I need to switch to another local IMAP
server program. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

SteveT

Aki Tuomi said on Thu, 20 Oct 2022 13:02:38 +0300 (EEST)

>> On 20/10/2022 12:24 EEST Steff Majeur <afamiliartaste at proton.me>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I recently stumbled upon the following commit on the Dovecot core
>> Github repository:
>> https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/4a187116dc2311804be22724007d357323005358
>>
>> Apparently, Dovecot Director is going to be removed in the next
>> major version of Dovecot and the commercial Dovecot cluster
>> architecture will be its successor:
>> https://github.com/dovecot/documentation/blob/a85b742ec4fc2744db30a6943b3c25f004e46720/source/admin_manual/cluster/index.rst
>
>Yes, this is going to happen.
>
>> This would be a huge blow for many organizations around the world
>> that are currently using Dovecot with Director in a shared storage
>> environment.
>>
>> Can anyone of the Dovecot developers maybe enlighten us about the
>> future of Dovecot?
>> - Will there still be the Director feature in the next community
>> release of Dovecot?
>
>Next 2.3 CE release will have a director.
>
>> - If not, will there be a community feature that is on par with the
>> current Director feature?
>
>There will be more information about this closer to new major release,
>that we are working on. Director is still present in
>https://github.com/dovecot/core/tree/release-2.3
>
>> - For how long will Dovecot version 2.3 still be supported (security
>> fixes, bug fixes)? Is there any EOL plan?
>
>This will be informed later, but as general rule, once we make a new
>major release, 2.3 will go into maintenance mode, and will receive
>only select bug fixes and CVE fixes.
>
>> Thanks for any clarification!
>> Steff
>
>Aki

SteveT

Steve Litt
Summer 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times