The end of Dovecot Director?

Zhang Huangbin zhb at iredmail.org
Fri Oct 21 05:19:59 UTC 2022

> On Oct 21, 2022, at 4:19 AM, Antonio Leding <tech at leding.net> wrote:
>
> My understanding is that Director is targeted toward large enterprise mail installations that will incorporate several servers for a given function. In such an environment, Director would be the fore-person\traffic-cop keeping things organized & squared-away.

Director is used when you setup frontend servers in a load-balance cluster, proxy imap/pop3/lmtp/managesieve requests to backend Dovecot servers.

I setup load-balance cluster for clients with HAProxy + KeepAlived + Dovecot Director running in frontend servers, so sad we have to find an alternative to replace Director in such case.

It's not about "small/medium" servers, but the demand of imap/pop3/lmtp proxy service, especially in load-balance cluster.

----
Zhang Huangbin, founder of:
- iRedMail: Open source email server solution: https://www.iredmail.org/
- Spider: Lightweight, on-premises Email Archiving Software: https://spiderd.io