ot: how to t/s TBird problems ?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 00:29:59 UTC 2022

Voytek Eymont writes:

> I've enabled logging as per your suggestion:
>
> -rw------- 1 vmail vmail     127 Oct 16 21:38 20221016-213738.25640.1.in
> -rw------- 1 vmail vmail 8546603 Oct 16 21:38 20221016-213738.25640.1.out
> -rw------- 1 vmail vmail      96 Oct 16 21:58 20221016-215757.26075.1.in
> -rw------- 1 vmail vmail 8343463 Oct 16 21:58 20221016-215757.26075.1.out
>
> # cat 20221016-213738.25640.1.in
> 1665916659.491025 STAT
> 1665916659.550829 LIST
> 1665916676.430794 UIDL
> 1665916693.761281 RETR 114437
> 1665916694.440965 QUIT
> # cat 20221016-215757.26075.1.in
> 1665917878.786953 STAT
> 1665917878.863136 LIST
> 1665917905.610805 UIDL
> 1665917924.491198 QUIT
> #
>
> what should I look in the .out file ?
>
> some of the file is like:
> 1665916661.234807 114436 70097
> 1665916661.234814 114437 154498
> 1665916661.234821 .
> 1665916676.430870 +OK
> 1665916676.981415 1 000024b95283283a
> 1665916676.981459 2 000024ba5283283a
>
> 1665916679.434297 114436 00033fcf5283283a
> 1665916679.434327 114437 00033fd05283283a
> 1665916679.434349 .
> 1665916694.048139 +OK 154498 octets
> 1665916694.048199 Return-Path: <buyer-notice14.g at mail.aliexpress.com>

I haven't seen anyone else replying, but there doesn't seem anything
anomalous with the output.  The session commands-repliesd is
is more or less what I expect, although to make sense of this, you'll
have to splice the input and output files together using timestamps to
see the sequential flow of data.

I forget what the symptoms you originally reported, but theoretically,
you could simulate either client or server by feeding in the above data
and see how the other end behaves.

If dovecot is serving out the correct data, then TB is somehow
misinterpreting it.

> on an uneducated guess, the mailbox is just 'too large' ?
> POP has difficulty handling so many files ?

Typically, if some resource limit is hit, one side or the other will
create a log or notification.  Your INBOX is large, but not outrageous.
You can test it directly by creating smaller subsets of the INBOX messages
and see if the problem goes away.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>