[Dovecot] mysql authentication

Justin Finkelstein dovecot at seriouslogic.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 11:33:42 EEST 2005

I've just managed to get dovecot to install on one of our FreeBSD 5.4
servers, using the ports collection.

I've set up dovecot to query the mysql database I'm using, and the query I'm
using is:

	SELECT clear AS password FROM users LEFT JOIN domains ON
domains.domain_id = users.domain_id WHERE domain="%d" AND username="%d" AND
users.enabled = 1 AND domains.enabled = 1

If I perform this query by hand, I get a single row with the field
'password' which contains the password I'm using the perform my intial test.
However, dovecot won't authenticate, and returns this error:

	dovecot-auth: mysql(justin at redwiredesign.co.uk): Password mismatch

Is there a way that I can see how dovecot's doing the comparison? I have set
the following in dovecot.conf:

	auth_verbose = yes
	auth_debug = yes

I've read the wiki on raw logging, but I don't know: (a) how to enable this
through the port (b) whether this is even applicable as apparently all it
logs is the imap traffic.

Any suggestions?

j.

Redwire Design Limited