[Dovecot] Reproducible duplicate messages bug with Mail.app+Dovecot

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sat Feb 10 23:10:09 UTC 2007

Andrew Moran schrieb:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am not sure if this is a Mail.app bug or a dovecot bug.  I can
> reproduce it 100% of the time using dovecot and Mail.app.   I cannot
> reproduce it with other imap clients, which at first made me think it
> was Mail.app, but then I tried Mail.app with other imap servers and
> couldn't reproduce it either, so it's definitely the combination of the
> two.    So I thought I'd try you guys first before submitting a bug to
> Apple.
>
> The problem:   If I move  multiple messages (set "A") from one imap
> folder to another, then delete those messages, and then move another set
> into that same folder (set "B"), then all the messages in set B show up
> as duplicates until I relaunch Mail.app.
>
> My configuration:
> Server: Dovecot 1.0rc22 using Maildir on FreeBSD 6.1
> Client:  Mail.app 2.1 on OS X 10.4.8
>
> Steps to reproduce:  (these steps involve trashing messages, so it's
> best to test this on email you are going to toss anyway)
>
> 1) Create a new imap folder (let's say "bar")
> 2) Drag more than one message (let's say 3 or 4) from existing imap
> folder "foo" to new folder "bar".
> 3) Click on new folder "bar" and see messages in there.
> 4) Select messages and delete them (Delete key).  Messages are gone as
> expected.
> new folder "bar"
> 6) Click on bar.
> 7) You will notice that all the second set of messages show up twice.
>
> Relaunching Mail.app at this point makes the problem disappear.   I'm
> guessing this has something to do with the deleted messages from Set A
> being purged until the close of imap connection.
> Any help narrowing this down would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --Andy

Hi Andrew,

i have some reports for double mails with a courier server imap
with apple mail too ( which i cant  found in  the mail log, and have no
real idea where they come from, i was nearly sure users double them with
some filters in the client over some other server, but hearing your
problem  i get awake that this might be a general apple mail bug),
so are sure that is not a apple bug, have you asked at some apple mail
list for clearing?
I hadnt the chance to inspect some of that so called double mail, cause
the users delete them always at once ( i told them to leave me examples
in imap , but as users are they ignore what i said but cry on if the
failure comes again )
So iam really unsure if there is any relations between your failure and
mine, but a broken client might be also a answer.
I am sorry to have no apple at my own  to make tests with my dovecot or
courier setups

After all i sometimes see likely behavior in thunderbird too with imap
dovecot and courier for short times, its a caching thing, if i click on
the meant to be double mails,
imap syncs and they disapear, ( so there is no double in fact ) so i
simple ignore this, i think this comes up with many mails and choosen
option folders for offline usage.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best Regards