[Dovecot] Will pay $500 towards a Dovecot feature

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Wed May 23 23:43:10 EEST 2007

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Here's some thoughts I'd like to throw out there. I know it's not
> standard IMAP protocol but someone has to try new ideas first and I want
> to see what people (Timo) think of this.
>
> IMAP establishes a connection between the client and the server.
> Wouldn't it be great if it could be a conduit to let custom Thunderbird
> plugins talk to custom server application over the IMAP interface? For
> example, personalized server settings. Suppose for example I want
> Thunderbird to edit my server side white lists or black lists or any
> other setting? Wouldn't it be nice if IMAP supported these changes? The
> connection is made. It's a secure connection that's been authenticated.
> Lets use it!
>
> Here's my initial thoughts on this. Suppose we extended IMAP to include
> an EXECUTE command as follows:
>
> EXECUTE command parameter, parameter ....

I believe that the IMAP RFC defines how IMAP servers may implement and
advertise additional non-standard capabilities and how to report those
in the CAPABILITIES string.

I would strongly recommend that any such solution fit within the RFC
definition of these new custom capabilities.  This would suggest, for
instance, that you would *not* involve both IMAP and SMTP, but that all
of your communications with the server would take place via the IMAP
protocol stack.

I would also suggest that you might want a method whereby a dovecot
plugin could add a new capability, with attendant command syntax, rather
than a 'generic' EXECUTE command, so that clients could *absolutely*
know (as they do now from the CAPABILITIES string) whether or not the
feature they want is supported.

Cheers,

    - Brian