[Dovecot] Dovecot] dovecot performance question

Kenny Dail kend at amigo.net
Wed May 30 02:56:49 EEST 2007

> Hi, using the latest dovecot with pop3/imap. Using mostly outlook 2003 for
> pop3 and squirrel mail imap.
>
> I have a lot of users reporting back that imap is very slow. We average
> about 300 imap and another 700 pop session at any given time.

reporting that imap is slow or that squirrelmail is slow? ;) How is the
load average on the server? We found at our site to keep
Apache/squirrelmail happy, we dedicated a server for our webmail users.
Mostly being a RAM issue in that case. Just how beefy is the server you
are using?

> I am having a time issue on this server and im not sure if its affecting
> dovecot.
>
> May 29 11:42:19 pop dovecot: POP3(xxx): Time just moved backwards by 1
> seconds. I'll sleep now until w
> e're back in present.
> May 29 11:42:19 pop dovecot: POP3(xxx): Time just moved backwards by 1
> seconds. I'll sleep now until w
> e're back in present.
> May 29 11:42:31 pop dovecot: POP3(xxx): Time just moved backwards by 1
> seconds. I'll sleep now until w
> e're back in present.
> May 29 11:42:42 pop dovecot: POP3(xxx): Time just moved backwards by 1
> seconds. I'll sleep now until w
> e're back in present.

It'll affect it in that you will be having 1 sec delays frequently it
seems. You should definitely look into fixing that. That is bad behavior
for a busy mail server.
--
Kenny Dail <kend at amigo.net>