[Dovecot] IMAP outlook express error

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Fri Nov 9 00:00:38 EET 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Hannibal Ndlovu wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am running debian etch + exim4 + dovecot 1.0.rc15-2etch with both an IMAP
> and a POP3 server
>
> The issue is when i try and get my mail using the IMAP protocol outlook
> gives and error "cannot find Inbox on 192.0.0.1"
>
> its happens with thunderbird and with Kmail -
>
> I assume i have misconfigured it some how and my mail is set to "mail_spool"
> in Exim4
>
> [dovecot -n output trimmed]

Sorry for the noise about the obfuscated IP address.

It sounds like you have exim set to deliver mail to /var/mail/(username).
Then you should set in your dovecot.conf:

mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%u

Or, if you want other mbox folders to appear in ~/mail:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

For full details, see: http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

Best,
Ben