[Dovecot] Thunderbird very slow startup, 1.2.11, mbox, postfix local delivery to /var/mail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri May 7 21:55:05 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 5/7/2010 11:58 AM:
> On 2010-05-07 11:44 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> That said, I've made a number of about:config changes in Firefox, which,
>> IIRC, shares config info with TB.  However, the about:config changes I've
>> made to FF are all http tweaks, such as pipelining, etc, which shouldn't
>> affect TB.
>
> Actually, I seem to recall reading something somewhere that they can/do...
>
> You might try reverting those and restarting and see if it makes any
> difference...
>
>> I do have the TB CompactHeader and Enigmail plugins installed,
>> but I wouldn't think these would cause this slow header download issue, as
>> they deal with display.  AFAIK they aren't in play during new message header
>> downloads.
>
> I have them both installed too, so if they are the cause, it would be in
> combination with something else specific to your installation.
>
> Sorry, I'm out of ideas... hope you can get it sorted...

I did quite a bit more searching, and though I found nothing specifically
linking GLODA to my issues, I disabled it, along with some likely minor
other things.  For some reason it was enabled by default on my system even
though the mozilla docs say it comes disabled by default.  Maybe because I
was an upgrade instead of a fresh install?  Anyway...

I built a fresh TB account profile under a different windows user login
(took longer than I'd have liked) and the performance I used to know was
fully restored.  It was pulling the headers from my 11,000+ message imap
folders in less than 10 seconds with this fresh profile.

So, I logged back in under my normal account (I had disabled GLODA before
logoff) and I moved the .msf files, the sqlite file, and some other index
related stuff to a temp folder.  Since I'd moved my rules file nothing got
sorted when I fired up TB, but the download of new message headers was
faster than I've seen in a long while.  I still need to perform an
"overnight" test to see if it's speedy with 100+ new messages.

So, preliminarily, it would seem that GLODA and its 50MB+ Sqlite file were
mostly to blame.  I should have dug deeper into TB before ever bringing this
up here.  Until today I didn't even realize GLODA was enabled...

I'll post more when I have info on the use case that prompted this thread.

--
Stan