[Dovecot] SQL Server

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat May 22 10:03:57 EEST 2010

Bryan Vyhmeister put forth on 5/21/2010 5:00 PM:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
>>
>> If you can access the Microsoft SQL Server from the machine hosting
>> Dovecot, there should be no problem at all. I have used Microsoft's SQL
>> sever for for several projects and it is an extremely fast and robust
>> piece of software.
>>
>> Perhaps you could post a clearer picture of exactly what you are
>> attempting to accomplish.
>
> Sorry. I should have been more specific. I want to use SQL Server for
> the userdb and password database. I looked through the wiki and did a
> number of searches but could not find an answer. If I were to use
> sqlite, mysql, or pgsql, these would be listed under driver = in the
> dovecot-sql.conf (or whatever you want to name it). How would you go
> about using SQL Server? There is no sql-server driver as far as I
> know. I have and am currently using dovecot from passwd files and from
> sqlite databases so I am pretty familiar with how everything works. I
> am just not sure how to go about this for SQL Server. Thank you.

I think you're SOL Bryan until someone adds mssql driver support to Dovecot.
If you are a C veteran and know mssql at a development level, you could
possibly grab the source for one of the other sql drivers and rewrite it for
mssql duty.  The current sql driver source files are:

driver-mysql.c
driver-pgsql.c
driver-sqlite.c

Source files for stable Dovecot are available here:
http://www.dovecot.org/releases/1.2/dovecot-1.2.11.tar.gz

Good luck.

--
Stan