[Dovecot] dovecot from debian lenny-backports does not accept connections

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 22 11:35:00 EEST 2010

On 20.5.2010, at 21.59, Charles Marcus wrote:

>>> I also think it would be a good idea to report the line# in the
>>> config file where the error resides (can make it much easier to
>>> find the setting in a large, heavily commented config file)...
>
>> This is unfortunately difficult. The config file is first parsed and
>> only afterwards validated. It's even more problematic if the setting is
>> overwritten in different places in config file..
>
> Hmmm... postfix handles this by simply letting the last one 'win', which
> seems like a reasonable way to handle that.
>
> Any chance 2.0 could work the same way? This way I could keep all of my
> settings in a separate file, and then include them in the main file, and
> I'd be sure that my custom settings overrode any of the defaults.

That's how Dovecot works too, but you could have for example:

foo = bar
protocol imap {
  foo = foo
}

The validation stage then tracks both imap and non-imap protocols and needs to give the line number for the right one. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do, but not really something I want to spend time on right now.