[Dovecot] upgrade from 1.0.5 to 2.1.7

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 8 20:10:35 EEST 2012

Am 08.06.2012 19:02, schrieb Andreas Meyer:
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On 8.6.2012, at 18.36, Andreas Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Jun 08 17:20:19 imap: Error: dlopen(/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/lib10_quota_plugin.so) failed: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/lib10_quota_plugin.so:
>>>
>>> What can I do? Wouldn't it be great to get the new dovecot working with
>>> my users and the old passwd file?
>>
>> The quota plugin isn't against the same version of Dovecot.. So you have two Dovecot versions now somehow all mixed up. One solution would be to delete all files related to Dovecot and install 2.1.7 again.
>>

> I wonder ./configure, make and make install went through, but for some
> reason the /usr/lib/dovecot/modules directory was not updated. Could
> it be because there was the old version 1.0.5 still running while
> installing the new one?

ouch - why are you doing such rough installs instead taking some time
to learn how to build packages for your OS?

the benefit of package-systems like rpm/deb is that obsolete files
are removed on updates and you have clean installs over many years
and major upgrades of any software

as example for Fedora&RHEL it is quite easy to setup rpmbuild, install a
recent src.rpm and replace rebuild new versions for older releases

the additional benefit is that you can do this on  a dedicated virtual
machine with devel-packages, GCC and so on which is all not needed on
the production systems AND you can easily use this packages on
testing machines followed by a crontrolled rollout

even for software with a handful of scripts -> on my servers and
workstations NEVER get any software installed without a package
and there are only two exceptions: VMware Workstation and ZendStudio