Feature request.

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:50:50 EEST 2020

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020, David Morsberger wrote:

> Both the renew hook and post hook are good candidates for our reload
> script.  Each has a downside however.  The post hook will be run after
> every renewal attempt, regardless of if anything was actually renewed
> or not.  This will result in the services being reloaded many times for
> no reason.

An alternative to using certbot hooks is to use an inotify based tool
(available for most Linux based OS).  A certificate update triggers
a restart script.  For example,

 	https://linux.die.net/man/5/incrontab

> The renew hook only runs if a certificate was successfully renewed, but
> it will be run once for each certificate.  This could mean reloading
> services multiple times if you have multiple certificates.  If you only
> have a single certificate however it'll work great.

For this case, I think you need a periodic (cron) process, restart rather
than a synchronous process, that will check certs and restart/reload once per
day/week/whatever.  This is the method I use as my LE certificates are obtained
via DNS challenges on a different host.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>