Changing IMAP separator - does it break things?

Filip Hajný filip at hajny.net
Wed Oct 14 13:39:24 EEST 2020

14. 10. 2020 v 12:24, Sami Ketola <sami at ketola.io>:

>> On 14. Oct 2020, at 12.51, Victor Sudakov <vas at sibptus.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Those Mac clients who do not use nested folders do not seem to be
>> affected. That is, I've already suggested to the Mac Mail user that he
>> start Thunderbird, move all his mailboxes into the IMAP root folder, and
>> then go on using Mac Mail. I hope that's what he has done.
>
> There is a bug in Mail.app that it always assumes / as hierarchy separator and
> completely ignores server provided separator.
>
> Not sure if anyone has created BUG to Apple about this. Atleast I have not.
>
> Sami

So hm, I actually re-read the original post, and this is pretty weird, because I had to change the Dovecot separator from '/' to '.' in order to make macOS clients work with subfolders properly.

I never had this problem myself because only use folders, not subfolders. And it was pointed to me by another user, who relies on subfolders and had problems for some time - *maybe* from since around the time she upgraded to Catalina.

-F