How do I enable sieve trace debugging?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Oct 14 21:35:59 EEST 2020

On 14 Oct 2020, at 19:15, <rudolf at padaru.de> <rudolf at padaru.de> wrote:

> 😃 nice, thats my question :D
>
> If I remember correctly a log was created, but not under var/log but in the home directory of the mail user. For example /var/mail/user1/sieve.

I haven't been able to make any sieve logging appear anywhere. Does anyone know if trace logging works as documented, or if there are extra steps?

> And not everything was logged, only serious errors. But I can not remember exactly what happened...
>
> we have solved this with sieve extprogramms and the - ubuntu - logger http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/logger.1.html
>
> So we run the logger each time the sieve fire. But be aware, sieve extprogramms dont run with older dovecot versions.
>
> The exact code i do not have at hand now -> if you need more information about this solution, just write me private, i can check this tomorow and may give you a useful tip.

Thank you for this - by luck I stumbled on a misnamed mailbox that was causing my scripts to be ignored. Now that the bash scripts are being run I can get them to log to syslog, but sieve is still silent on what it is doing.

Regards,
Graham
—