Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

R. Diez rdiezmail-2006 at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 26 00:12:48 EET 2020

> Your goal does not sound weird.

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

> The most painless way might be to fetch incoming messages from
> the ISP's IMAP and deliver them to your local dovecot.
> A shortened fetchmailrc would read:
>
> poll remote.server …
>    user …, password …
>    folder 'INBOX'
>    fetchall
>    idle
>    ssl
> mda "HOME=%T /usr/bin/sudo -u %T /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver"

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

> That way your users can create their vacancies with the ISP portal,
 > [...]

That's a good idea. But then internal e-mails need to go out to the ISP, don't they? Because, if internal e-mails get delivered locally, the vacation
autoresponses on the ISP will not trigger, will they?

The trouble is, with that configuration, if the Internet link goes down, internal e-mail stops working too.

I was hoping that there would be a complete mail server setup guide somewhere for this kind of setup. But I guess I'll have to piece all these
information snippets together.

Regards,
   rdiez