Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

Peter pch at myzel.net
Mon Oct 26 01:01:44 EET 2020

Hello R,

reply inline below:

Am 25.10.20 um 23:12 schrieb R. Diez:

>> That way your users can create their vacancies with the ISP portal,
>  > [...]
>
> That's a good idea. But then internal e-mails need to go out to the ISP,
> don't they? Because, if internal e-mails get delivered locally, the
> vacation autoresponses on the ISP will not trigger, will they?
>
> The trouble is, with that configuration, if the Internet link goes down,
> internal e-mail stops working too.

Hello R, I only wrote about the incoming side - of course, you also want
to send mail to remote users, and that includes users with an address of
…@myisp.com. They will go to the ISP and be fetched to local from there.

And if internet's down, e-mail will stop working anyways, so why bother?
Even facebook/whatsupp will stop working then!

With some tinkering, you can configure your local relay smtp to deliver
those locally, but if your people do not talk about their vacancies over
the water cooler, then they will miss that reminder then.

> I was hoping that there would be a complete mail server setup guide
> somewhere for this kind of setup. But I guess I'll have to piece all
> these information snippets together.

Sorry, the world is too big :)

--
peter