Looking for a guide to collect all e-mail from the ISP mail server

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue Oct 27 03:01:09 EET 2020

The reason there's no pretty complete how-to is because what you're doing seems completely insane to the vast majority of people who'd look at your problem and select your way of approaching solving it.

Yeah, you can also host your own website off of a DSL line, using a rasp-pi connected via a ham data relay which is faxing pages back and forth over a couple of soup-cans and string - etc, etc, etc.

While I get, at least in principle, why you want to do it your way - you've selected a particularly painful, and super time-expensive way, IMO.

A VPS for like $10 a month would do everything you want to do. Run Ubuntu on it, and allow Ubuntu to do security updates and restarts and you'll almost certainly be fine. If you want, get a fully managed VPS for a little more, and they'll do all that for you.

Or, one of a hundred other ways to accomplish handling mail - but you've picked one of the oddest, most difficult ways...and then "complain" that there's no examples. Yeah, 'cause no-one wants to do it your way because it's crazy.

Sorry dude - I kinda get it, but no, I'd never pick your way of doing it, and I'm not surprised that there's almost no one who has cranked a complete example of it either.

Not trying to make fun of you, but dang, the time wasted in this thread could probably have paid for 5 years of hosted mailcow.

Cheers!
Do have fun.

-Greg