.IMAP locations

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Sat Apr 3 10:39:35 EEST 2021

Hi Elise,

> On 03/04/2021 01:39 Elise <dovecot_ml at cloudzeeland.nl> wrote:
>

> I have this account, /usr/home/me
>  To be able to admin websites, I created a folder /usr/home/me/www , containing my siteroot /usr/home/me/www/mysite.com
>
>  My dovecot.config:
>  mail_location = mbox:/home/%u:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
>  the actual mailfolder is/usr/home/me/mail , which I defined in my mailclient as 'mail/'
>
>  The issue now is that Dovecot is indexing my whole/usr/home/me/ folder, including the www folder, in which it also idexes every folder that is in/usr/home/me/www/mysite.com .

This is very unsafe, as you already noticed. Dovecot will iterate all folders it can find, even if you are only opening mail/.

>  It puts in these folders an .imap folder that is containing the exact content of the folder it is put in. So my site takes double space by this Dovecot indexing.

The .imap folder will not contain duplicate of your mails. It contains indexes. These are not going to end up being same size as your mailbox.

>  To solve this issue, I defined my mail_location line asmail_location = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>  and removed the 'mail/' directive from my mail client.
>
>  For some reason this does not prevent Dovecot to index the subfolders of/usr/home/me/www/
>
>  - Do I have to remove all Dovecot related indexing files by hand to solve this and restart Dovecot service afterwards?

You will have to restart dovecot.

>  - Can you tell me how I can define the Dovecot index files location so that there will be no .imap folder created anymore in my/usr/home/me/www/ subfolder(s)?

Once you fix your mbox to point to correct location, they stop appearing.

>  Thanks for you help!
>  Elise
>
>  #CSSis {beautiful};

Aki