Dovecot and OAuth2 and gmail

Richard inbound-dovecot at listmail.innovate.net
Wed Apr 13 21:25:02 UTC 2022

> Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 17:10:36 -0400
> From: Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure Dovecot has anything to do with this, but I'd rather
> ask and know for sure.
>
> I do the following:
>
> Gmail IMAP=>fetchmail=>procmail=>Dovecot IMAP
>
> Then, I view my Dovecot hosted email with Claws-Mail.
>
> I understand that on May 31, 2022, current methods to access Gmail
> IMAP will turn into pumpkins because of insistence on OAuth2. Do I
> need to do anything to Dovecot to get ready for this Mass
> Extinction Event?
>
> Do you think I'll need to dump fetchmail for something else?

While it's a little obtuse, a reading of:

<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255#zippy=%2Cif-less-secure-app-access-is-on-for-your-account%2Cuse-an-app-password>

specifically the "fix problems" / "use an app password" section,
would seem to indicate that app passwords will continue to work for
gmail access after May 30.

What google is turning off is "third-party apps or devices which ask
you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and
password", i.e., using your google login password with "less secure"
3rd party apps.

So, you need to set up, and configure your application to use, app
passwords.