[dovecot] Re: Disk quotas (was: SELECT)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 9 07:03:01 EEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:35:33PM -0300, marcelo at carpa.ciagri.usp.br wrote:

> Now, one last question (for a while):  would be possible/desirable make
> Dovecot work when an user is with her disk quota completely full (hard
> quota)?  The main reason I'm looking for an alternative imap server is that
> neither WU-Imapd nor Courier work "properly" (from an user point of view) in
> that situation (the user can not login or delete her messages to clean up
> the mailbox). If Dovecot could handle this problem (creating its scratch
> files in /tmp, perhaps) it'd be big plus, IMHO.

Well, that is a bit difficult to handle.. It's mostly the index files that
dovecot has to create/grow. I think I should support keeping them only in
memory when disk quota is exceeded.

But what about clients, I think some of them just copy the mail to trash
folder instead of deleting the mail? But maybe with
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes that'd be possible even with quota full.

I guess I'll have to install quota support and start fixing.