[Dovecot] transitional weirdnesses

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 19 16:17:10 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 00:24, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> 1) not reproducible but when it occurred, its stuck: in the early transition to
> dovecot I would notice occasionally that messages would come up, I would delete
> them and then something would hang causing a major delay in the (Mozilla) e-mail
> client's response.  When the system responded, I would notice that occasionally
> there would be an off by one offset between the index of messages and the
> message displayed.  This error would persist until I killed off the index and
> the dovecot process.
>
> 3) just ended up with a message that displayed the entire header.  Will look
> into this more but it's very strange.

Corrupted messages with Mozilla sounds a bit like the bug I fixed in
0.99.10.. You don't happen to be using CR+LF linefeeds? Or alternatively
it's just some mbox weirdness. I haven't noticed that myself though..

> 2) very reproducible: after fetching messages from my inbox, there
will be a
> long (30 sec.) delay.  Dovecot demon is clearly busy doing something.  I do have
> a large set of filter rules (approximately 150) sorting messages into different
> boxes.  Is this a reason to switch to maildir?

You could check with strace -p pid what imap process is doing. Or if
those filter rules are done by client and one message at a time doing
COPY + EXPUNGE, it's really no wonder.

I'd suggest maildir anyway, it probably fixes your other problems too :)