[dovecot] Re: Help

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 26 10:07:16 EET 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 15:01, Barker, Ron, vpe wrote:
> Solaris 9
> 1. Every´time we reboot- the directory /var/run/dovecot/auth is gone
> ????
> 2. After the dir is created manually, the server starts.

Hm. You've set auth_chroot then. Looks like I don't check that the
directory exists, I'll fix that.

> However!!!
> 	1.  A telnet to host 143 connect to the server fine but no
> commands are accepted.  The server simply returns "bad command"

What commands did you try? IMAP commands are prefixed with a tag, so
you'd need to do eg. "1 login user password".

> 	2.  If we try to connect via a e-mail client to the server - we
> get a login refused - which I suspect is simply the "bad command" error
> being interpreted as such.

And this is probably because you set the auth_chroot, and the auth
process can't read /etc/passwd (or whatever) when chrooted. So just
comment out the auth_chroot line and it would probably work. If not, set
auth_verbose = yes and see what it shows in log file.